How To Make Money On Upwork As A New Freelancer
Updated: Jun 16
Working from home is one of the many things that I am really passionate about. A few years ago I didn't even know that it was possible. At that time I was sold on the dream of getting a degree and finding a good job outside the home, where I'd dress up everyday. I never imagined working for myself or better yet working from the comfort of my home. I mentioned before in quite a few posts that working from home is not easy. It requires quite a vast number of skills and a certain level of dedication to actually be feasible. After all, we all have bills to pay and responsibilities to fulfill so if you plan to work from home it has to make sense.
For today's post, I wanted to share with you a few skills or tips that you can use to make money from Upwork. Now, getting on the Upwork platform as a freelancer has definitely become a bit more competitive. A significant number of Freelancers are finding themselves rejected when they apply for membership in their area of expertise but I believe that these tips will help you out.
1. Select a Niche.-
Being a Jack of all trades and a master of none will not get you on the Upwork platform. You must be able to work in one of the niche's that the clients on Upwork are interested in.
2. Try to select a niche that is less popular on Upwork.-
Popularity might help you in other areas of your life but it might be holding you back from getting onto the Upwork platform and here's why. One of the most popular niches on Upwork based on my experience is Customer service. This market is becoming overly saturated on Upwork as such there really is no need to accept new applicants. In other worse the less popular the niche the better your chances are.
3. Only submit a profile that is 100 % complete.-
A complete profile will provide more context on who you are, what you do and whether or not your experience, work ethic and culture coincide with Upwork.
4. Spend some time to create an eye catching mission/description.-
A well thought of description will do wonders for your Upwork profile. So, don't hold back , write your way into the hearts of the Upwork team.
5. Don't be afraid to step outside your niche and apply for something else.-
Now I know I told you earlier to choose a niche and you should but you must also have a back up plan. If your niche is on the popular end, it might be in your best interest to research a less popular niche and apply for that to get on the platform.
10 Steps on How To make Money on Upwork as a New Freelancer
1. Create proposal templates that you can easily edit for your skill areas.
2. Check your job feed periodically.
2. Try to apply for the newest jobs first, then the older ones.
3. Always save the jobs that you want to apply for but don't have the time.
4. Tailor each proposal to the job, making mention of the skills requested.
5. Apply for a premium profile- this will allow you to see the average bid rates for the job.
6. Keep your asking price competitive.
7. As a new freelancer it is best to keep your hourly rate low to start out as your profile is entry level.
8. Once a client reaches out to you be prompt with your responses.
9. Be on time for your interviews.
10. Negotiate your rate with the client after you have shown the client why you are the perfect fit for the role.
“Instead of worrying about what you cannot control, shift your energy to what you can create.” - Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart